Tuesday 15 June 2010

OH GAWD! from Sue

When I buy vegetables I put them loose into my basket but have to have a plastic bag for spinach and paper bags for mushrooms, potatoes etc. I re-use them until they shred then the paper goes in the compost and the plastic in the non-recyclable bin. Every time I throw a plastic bag away I think of how long it's going to take to decompose and the damage it's going to do in the process.
But the paper bag ain't so good either - they may rot down quickly but they take a helluva lot more energy to manufacture - four times as much, and create 70% more air pollutants and 50% more water pollutants! We eco-freaks are scuppered whichever way we turn.
I don't know the figures for bio-degradable plastic bags, but presumably they should be the least damaging. Anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment